Tuesday 26 May 2009

Reason for leaving statement

You need to be prepared when asked for the reason for leaving you previous job. If you don't have a clear, smooth answer, it will impact your chance of getting a new job.


Here is a straight forward reason for leaving example. You will want to prepare your own reason for leaving statement and practice saying it over and over so it becomes second nature to recite.

Always avoid using negatively charged words such as “unfortunately.”

Examples:
Like many tech organizations, my company is going through a major restructuring. Due to the economic downturn, many IT functions are being combined. This has meant the elimination of many positions, including mine. I am proud of my contributions to my company during my years there, and am looking at this as an opportunity to put my technical strengths and experience to work in a new environment.

(insert company name here) has been impacted by the global recession. As a result, (insert company name here) has restructured many of their internal positions. As a result, my job was eliminated. I value my 10 years with (insert company name here) and have benefited by working on both small and large multinational teams. My experience with (insert company name here) has increased my business strength and I look forward to new opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. Great points, thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you respond to a potential employer when you were let go with no cause such as "we are ending your employment with us"?

    ReplyDelete